Prof. G. D. SharmaGoverning Body
Prof. G. D. Sharma, Director Higher Education, G.D. Goenka Group, New Delhi, since 2008:
He was awarded Honorary Degree of Doctorate of Letters by Nagarjuna University, AP in 1999 for his contribution in the field of Higher Education. He has 30 years of academic and administrative experience in various capacities at various institutions in the country.
Retired as Director, (Equivalent of Vice-Chancellor of Central University) Consortium for Educational Communication (CEC), New Delhi autonomous organization of University Grants Commission (UGC) New Delhi from October 2003 to March 2007. Prior to this he served as Senior Fellow and Head, Higher Education Unit, NIEPA, New Delhi till September 2003, now renamed as National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA). He was Secretary, University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi from 1996 to 1999. Also has served as Director, Indian Institute of Education (IIE), Pune He has also worked in various capacities in the Department of Economics in the University of Bombay and the Association of Indian University (AIU), New Delhi.
- Has been Consultant to UNESCO, UNDP and IIEP, Paris. DfID, UK
- He was the Chairman of the Committee on Higher Education of Punjab Government.
- Lead Consultant in DfID,UK for development of higher education in Andhra Pradesh.
- Lead Consultant to Education Consultants Ltd. GOI undertaking.
- He has been Member/Convenor of several committees of UGC and Government of India.
He has published 12 books and 55 research papers. His major areas of work, particularly in research and consultancy, include planning and management of university education, equity, quality and financing of higher education. He has also submitted 11 Study Reports on Teachers in Higher Education as Input in the National Commission on Teachers-II to Government of India, methodology of teaching in colleges, UNESCO, UGC, and NIEPA.
His latest works include:
- Internationalization of Higher Education;
- India’s Response to Trade on Education Services under WTO Regime;
- Indicators of Quality of Higher Education; and National Qualifications Framework
- Supporting setting up of Foreign University Programme in India
- Evaluation and Audit of Micro finance for self help groups for income generation to members of self help groups supported by Dewan Foundation, UK to Pradan, Srijan, Deepalaya and St. Paul Trust and Brighter Future Trust., Vijaynagaram
- Organized two round tables on higher education in Collaboration with IIC New Delhi.
- Participated in meetings of Higher Education organized by IIC
- Organized workshop on Educational Leadership in Higher Education
- Member of Planning Group on Teachers in Higher Education
- Consultant to Ed.Cil. ICT in school education at Tashkent
- Lead Consultant of Ed.Cil. for Tripura Study, PTU Study and AMU Studies.
- Study of facilities for Disabled School Children
- Hand Book of Quality Assurance In Higher Education.
He has visited various countries namely, USA, Canada, France, U.K. Thailand, Iran, Vietnam, South Korea, Ghana, Turkmenistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Cameroon, Yemen,, Uzbekistan on UNDP, UNESCO assignments and in various other capacities. He has Recently Visited UZBEKISTAN, UK, Nepal for consultancy and advisory activities.
Honorary positions held:
- He has also been convener and member of several committees set up by UGC, and Ministry of Human Resource Development, G.O.I., New Delhi
- He was Honorary Professor of Kyung Hee University, Seol, South Korea and Founder Member of International Year of Peace, UNO.
- He is Founder President, Society for Education of Economic Development, (SEED) , New Delhi